The first backpacking trip that I took was in the summer of 2012. I was 25 years old. Me and a good friend decided that we would go to Europe and travel from country to country for about a month. Our primary method of transportation was an EURail pass, unlimited for a certain number of days (15, 20, something like that). The train system is very well-connected in Europe, and it helped me reach12 countries in under a month with relative ease. The type of trains you get on vary from country to country, but it just adds to the experience! On some trains you will find coaches with fancy restaurants and bars, and access to TV's and electrical plugs at your seat. It makes for a very comfortable and almost luxurious experience!
The language barrier in Europe can be a bit challenging at times if you only speak English, but you learn to adapt. Luckily I speak some Polish, so that was able to help me out in some situations!
My trip started in Portugal, and I worked my way East and then in a counter-clockwise loop until my final destination in Amsterdam. The entire trip lasted about 3 weeks. Please click on the country you'd like to see more of:
Here's a rough itinerary for the trip:
- Lisbon, Portugal - June 9 - 11, 2012
- Madrid and Barcelona, Spain - June 12 - 14, 2012
- Marseilles & Lyon, France - June 15 - 16, 2012
- Interlaken, Switzerland - June 16 - June 17, 2012
- Venice, Italy - June 18, 2012
- Ljubljana, Slovenia - June 19 - June 20, 2012
- Rijeka & Zagreb, Croatia - June 20 - June 21, 2012
- Budapest, Hungary - June 22, 2012
- Prague, Czech Republic - June 23, 2012
- Krakow, Katowice, & Wasaw, Poland - June 24 to June 28, 2012
- Berlin, Germany - June 28 - June 29, 2012
- Amsterdan, Holland - July 1, 2012